Colossians 3:17

live intentionally.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

"I have lived"

I have lived…or so they tell me. I have been to Lahore, Pakistan. According to everyone here,” You’ve never lived until you’ve been to Lahore.” Sorry everyone, I guess you need to take a trip out here. I’ve been telling you all year to come visit….well, you’re running out of time if you plan on doing it while I’m still here.

Anyways….Lahore…shopping and eating galore!

I spent last weekend there with some friends from the church. It was wonderful. We shopped till we dropped, ate till we could’ve popped, and then we stopped. Like my rhyme?

Lahore is the second oldest city in Pakistan, and what used to be the capital before they planned out Islamabad. Because it is so hot there most of the year the city really doesn’t come alive until after dark. Then….it’s mass chaos! Cars, trucks, donkey carts, motor bikes, bicycles, camels…any mode of transportation crowd the streets.

Lahore is located about 30 km from the Indian border. Every night they put on a show just before sundown. It is basically a yelling match between India and Pakistan as they see who can cheer the loudest for their country while the soldiers go through the routine of lowering the flags. It is a prerequisite for Punjabi’s in the Army at the border to be at least 6 feet tall so as to tower over the Indian Army. They spend about 15 minutes marching and doing all kinds of fancy salutes acting like horses to impress and intimidate the Indian Army. My favorite part of it all was watching this little old man carrying the Pakistan flag yelling non-stop to lead the cheers. He had non teeth and a long white beard. I just wanted to pick him up and put him in my pocket.

We ate dinner one night over-looking a huge mosque/temple/fort. It’s amazing to me that there were built so close to each other. We ate in this place called “Cocoo’s Den and Café” in the red light district of the city. It was started by an artist who is trying to bring attention and something good to that part of the city. He has paintings all through it of prostitutes and up on the roof (about 5 stories up) you can eat dinner with an amazing view of the mosque all lit up.

Lahore is a city I would love to go back to visit again. But, living there I think I would go insane.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:28 PM, Blogger Christopher Spicer said…

    Congratulations on your school's amazing performance at the track and field meet. Way to beat those rich kids.

    Lahore sounds like a really interesting place to visit. I was intrigued to hear about the showmanship between the two armies. Though they've had a many decades long rivalery so it doesn't shock me too much.

    Sorry about being AWOL for the entire year. Your last few months have sounded fascinating.

     
  • At 6:19 AM, Blogger Rockin' it up said…

    Wow! I can't imagine the adventures that you have had while you have been there!!! I definately HAVE lived to see some really cool things so far! Can't wait till I can travel to that side of the world. Dave and I are talking about it...maybe next fall?

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger MOLLY said…

    it's been so awesome to see how God has led your life & where He's taken you. Remember when you were living here, wondering when you would finally get to PK? (and IF you would??) Look at you now, seeing such beautiful things & being such an important person to the kids at the school. Awesome.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker