Colossians 3:17

live intentionally.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Muharram

Yesterday was the 10th day of Muharram; a religious holiday for the Shia Muslims of the world. It is a day that will be etched in my mind forever.

Why you might ask.

As we were driving back up the hill we got caught in the traffic for the demonstration. We slowly made our way past the crowd of people who had taken over the road we were able to see hundreds of men - backs raw and bloodied from beating themselves with what you can imagine Jesus being flogged with in Bible times. There were even small boys no older than 5 or 6 years with bare backs learning how to beat themselves.

Thank God my faith isn’t such that I feel I need to beat myself in honor of the beatings taken on my behalf.

The Shiite Muslims beat themselves to commemorate the martyrdom of their prophet a grandson of Muhammad. While the Sunnis watch in disgust at what they believe is going against Islam which teachings that beating and mourning is forbidden.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is interesting that we are called to die to self daily, which in many ways is much harder than taking a physical beating. I think our growth as a Christian comes from being broken before God, and not just once, but many times. But I am thankful, that Jesus took on all that pain for the world!

     
  • At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had another thought. I am glad that taking the Lord's supper is an easier way to remember His sacrifice on our behalf.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker