Colossians 3:17

live intentionally.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

TCK

Stands for "Third Culture Kid." A term that is new to me, but the idea is all to familiar. Having been raised in a military family, I was never sure of where 'home' was. And even now, the house my family lives in is not home to me. I've begun to tell people that I haven't found home yet. Deep down, I wonder if I ever really will.

The context of a TCK here is a whole different arena. These are kids who's parents have chosen to come here. Most have even been born here, but for some reason their parents refer call 'home' this strange (somewhat foreign) country with all kinds of different customs. And then there is boarding...

Before now I have always disagreed with missionaries sending their kids to boarding school. I believe that our responsibility in ministry is FIRST to our families. If we can't handle that, why are we even trying to minister to other people? I just can't imagine what that does to a childs mind to be sent away for 10 months out of the year. I'm sure I would have come out a mess. I suppose God does give grace to those families....but isn't there a better way????

Anyways...today I am covering in the girls dorm. I think the older, more mature staff think I'm so irresponsible. I have been in trouble 4 times today for doing (or not doing) something I was supposed to do. Argh! I'll get the hang of it about the time school ends I think. Oh well.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey sister,
    i know what you mean..i'm still looking for home too..though i found it in ireland, maybe i'll go back there someday. what are you gettin' in trouble for? you're too rebellious for your own good!:)

     
  • At 6:55 AM, Blogger Christopher Spicer said…

    I've never really been a big supporter of the boarding school method. I'm sure the concept is even more foreign to someone who went through home schooling. I doubt I'll ever go the boarding school method because I mainly don't really understand why you would ship your kid away for 10 months. What damage could this do to the closeness of a family? Oh well, I must admit I am very unaware of how it all runs though. Do parents visit a lot? Anyway, it's great to hear from you Katy and here is encouragment to keep it up when you've got the chances to blog.

     
  • At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Katy, I too am curious as to what you did wrong? Was it a situation similar to Sound of Music, when the children told her all things "she should do", when in reality they knew if she did them they would irritate their father? By God's grace you'll make it, it is only a month! Love and prayers.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Rockin' it up said…

    i agree w/ ya on the boarding school thing. But maybe you can help the girls feel like a lil bit of home is there as a big sister or something, or at least just a friend that listens...i know you're good at it. Keep it up!

     
  • At 11:22 PM, Blogger GoingGlobal said…

    Hi,

    I am a TCK myself and am trying to find other TCKs! I just opened a shop at:

    www.cafepress.com/tck

    If you could spread the word that would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks, Shoshauna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
eXTReMe Tracker